Saturday, January 24, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me

Photos taken on December 12, 2008, which someone told me was my birthday.


Meg organized a birthday bash for me this year that had a secret component. We were to meet for drinks and shufflepuck (pics below for those not familiar) at Doc's Clock, a bar around the corner, and then come back to the house for my now-traditional made-from-scratch German Chocolate cake (my fave). I knew something was afoot, but had no idea that, while we were at the bar, Meg and some co-conspirators were at the house setting up two poker tables for some Surprise Birthday Poker. If you don't know: I. Love. Poker.

No photos of the poker game, but some of the Doc's Clock shufflepuck action that started the evening.


Dave Klaus puts some finess on his shot.
(Yes, this is the shufflepuck table.)


Rachel launches a puck and watches to see if it hits its mark. Which it probably did, since she crushed me, the one who had to "toss" against her. Obviously, she must have been cheating.


Ready, aim...


...fire! Unfortunately for Dave Klaus, my teammate, I was more of a help to the opposition.


Dave Caraker shows us how it's done, en route to victory for he and Rachel. Punks.


Birthday wishes do come true: I can now become invisible at will.


Mike, Rachel's boyfriend, sports some extra clothing protection against any flying pucks.


Kaya and her beer stopped by for some long-overdue hang time.


Beerodite, The Protectress of All Shufflepuck Tables.


How things looked for me by the time I headed home to my surprise poker game.


Two mornings after. Still moving slowly, especially since I had a second, all-guys poker game on Saturday night, the night following Meg's surprise poker game. Two poker nights in a row! Birthday wishes certainly do come true.

No comments: